Sunday, October 6, 2013

Button Dangles in Red and Purple

Red Button Christmas Ornaments

For some reason, tins of buttons make me happy.  I understand why buttons off clothing I`ve had throughout my life would be a nostalgic thing, or vintage buttons with all their fascinating shapes and details would be an exciting thing - but even modern, bright, random buttons are such happy, cheerful little characters, don't you think?



Large Red Buttons on Beaded Hangers
 I've recently dedicated space in the craft room for buttons and I've got a nice collection of many colours for my paper crafts, which I've yet to really play with - but I've got a huge collection of all sorts of shapes and sizes up to these nice large buttons in a few basic colours - Red, Purple, Pink, Green and White.

A little while ago I made a few batches of Christmas Ornament Button Whimsies - a different style using some of the smaller and mid size beads, but I wanted to have a play at something with these larger buttons.   These are in my dangle style so voila the Button Dangle

Large Purple Buttons on Beaded Hangers

Beaded using 5" of coated wire, I use large 6/0 seed bead to anchor the button on either side, and the rest of the hanger is beaded with with wooden beads, 10/0, 8/0 and 6/0 seed beads to make a pattern.

A white pearl just above the button provides a consistent element across many colours, and I like the suggestion of snowdrops dripping from the tree that will result when it hangs from the branch.  I wanted to highlight this a little bit so have surrounded it with the tiniest of the beads.  It shows much more as emphesis when not against a white background.

I think they're a lot of fun. Very jolly.  Very light.  Very durable.  Don't take much packing away space.  Perfect.  Pink, Green and White go on the 'to do' list.

1 comment: